1. Walk and talk. Do it on the streets. Talk to people, get that shoe-leather going.
2. Bring a fresh perspective.
3. Beats can lead to bigger things.
4. Don’t be afraid to use wit and knowledge to get what you need.
5. Experience on a beat can help with deadline writing.
6. Keep it simple. Always.
7. Understand the power and poetry of your beat.
8. Have an eye for the resonant detail.
9. Make sure you’re taking people where the want to go — don’t hold them up too long waiting for the drop.
10. Realize that not everyone can getting away with quoting Keats.